Monday, June 9, 2014

"Mistakes of the past don´t define you, they refine you"‏

9 Junio 2014

This week... has been incredible. Like always, when we are going through it, it’s always difficult to keep positive and maintain faith in God´s hand in all of the situations. But then, like always I look back and say, that is how it needed to be, and I feel overwhelmed and blessed to experience all that I am experiencing. Wow.

I would like to tell you a little bit more about Victor. I knew this man was so special from the moment we met him on the street. It was one of those unique contacts on the street where I almost literally felt like something pushed me towards him, telling me to talk to him. You know that he has had quite a past, and we found out this week that he wasn't just drinking, he was actually very involved with drugs as well, and he always seemed to have these addictions tying him down, tell him that he can´t change and he isn't strong enough. His journey with us I think of as his journey coming to understand that "mistakes of the past don´t define you, they refine you."

He called us Monday night, very drunk :( after 1.5 months (from the first day that he met us) he was deceived by a "friend" and fell again. He called us, so down and sad, he felt so unworthy and like such a failure, doubting himself and feeling like he couldn't change again. He said that he felt so weak. It broke my little heart. But we met with him the following day, he received a priesthood blessing, and talked about repentance. I have never understood the repentance process so well after studying it all week. The blessing gave him a lot of comfort and strength, promising him so many blessings for him and for Alison. God truly knows all and has his own timing. Life is all about falling and getting back up again, learning that God is by our side, no matter what our struggle. I truly wish I could just record every lesson we have with this man, he has CHANGED MY LIFE. I will never think of the repentance process the same, as a have seen a changed man develop, he has become so humble and willing to accept God´s will,  I am so grateful for Our beloved Savior Jesus Christ who made the miracle of forgiveness possible. I thought of this scripture the night that Victor said he felt so weak: (how many times do WE feel so weak too?)

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

The Lord gives us His strength. But it truly had to happen this way. Victor now knows that he needs to avoid situations like this where he finds himself tempted. He has found power in the Book of Mormon. Since he stopped taking drugs and drinking, he has trouble sleeping, but as he reads two chapters a night, he can sleep well. Little Alison follows her dad's example and love reading too. He talks like a member with the testimony he has gained through trails, all that he has felt and lived and experienced. I could go on forever and write a novel about my love for this man, but I will just end by telling you about the look in his eyes when he said that he will be baptized the 14th, this Saturday!!!! it was UNFORGETTABLE!!! He had to hit the lowest low to help him realize truly how God sees him, not how he is now, but the man that he can become. He will embark this process when he is baptized this Saturday :)

Eek , I wanted to briefly tell you about Sergio as well, he is the man who we met on the street the other day, said that he was probably a waste of time, he doesn't believe in what he doesn't see, but gave us his number anyways. We have met with him for ONE WEEK. and the guy (23 years old) we call him our social timid friend. He says he is timid, but he seems very outgoing and fun! Anyways, we have had some of the most spiritual lessons with him, as we teach, he will say "I always leave here with a smile, I can't stop smiling and I don´t understand why... I feel my heart beating so fast and I don't understand, I have never really believed in God before". We know this is the Spirit working within him, telling him that he has heard this before, we are simply reminding him. He said he hasn't cried for seven years, but he felt like he was about to. This is the most rapid change I have seen in anyone, I love teaching him too, he just can't stop smiling, and feels like he just wants to know more and more. I love it. Ah i love being a missionary.

Those are the most important things from this week, other than that, there are two weeks left in the transfer, and Hermana Burgos will be going home, she finishes her mission! Her mom and her sister moved to New York while she has been on her mission so she returns to a place different from home, make sure to add her to your prayers. It can be hard for me to see others go home, because I miss family, but I know that I am supposed to be here. I just think, wow I will be here for a lot, lot, lot longer, hah. So we are just still here trying our best to work hard and love and serve, then I will receive a new companion and area train her. Yikes! All exciting. Change can be hard, but I feel SO BLESSED to have found so many people that have changed my life, my companions being some of the biggest parts. I am grateful for Hermana Burgos and all she has taught me.

Well, I hope this makes up for all that I haven´t written the past few weeks I am going to send some pictures now!! I love you! I hope you have a SPLENDID WEEK full of miracles. I LUFF YEW.

Love, Hermana Mather


YESSSS thats VICENTA!!! with Hermana Sanchez in Alcobendas,
Hermana Mather's previous area.
 SHE WAS BAPTIZED!!!!!!! How exciting huh?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment